So, you have your headshot. Or, you may have several. What do you do with them now? Hopefully, your photographer and you have discussed the purpose and use of each headshot as that is crucial to knowing how to pose, what to wear, and how to photograph. Another factor to consider is what business you are in. If you are an aspiring model, then you will have different images than a CrossFit owner.
Still, there are some generic uses that apply to almost everyone. Just about every business has social media accounts and a linkedin page. Most businesses have a blog, and want to use their images in their marketing materials and speaking engagements. So knowing these uses and others is important to have in place before your session.
Uses for Your Professional Headshot
1. About Page. This is the page that most potential clients will look at first. Who is the person that is being portrayed on the website? Do they look approachable and friendly? Or, perhaps you are a lawyer and you want to appear commanding and professional. Your image could be in a pose that commands attention, then.
2. Blog sidebar. Are you a blogger, or do you have a blog? Having your image on the sidebar brings your potential clients back to who you are. It puts your face in front of them again and encourages them to learn more or schedule with you.
3. Social media accounts. Linkedin, facebook, instagram, pinterest..etc..there are so many different accounts that would be the perfect place for your headshot. Potential clients will know who they are dealing with then and can put a face to the business.
4. Marketing Materials. Do you have a brochure for your business? What about postcards or other printed items? Obviously having your logo on these items is important, but so is your headshot. How many times have you looked at a brochure and wanted to see who was a part of the company and there were no images of the team? Did that deter you from calling them?
5. Speaking Engagements. Do you travel with your company to speak at events? It is imperative to have a professional headshot so your workshop and event attendees can see who they are coming to listen to.
The above images were all taken either in our studio in Oswego, IL, or on location at Your Performing Arts Center, Cornish Chiropractic and Bella Tressa Hair Salon in Yorkville, IL. They vary in location, look, expression, and purpose. All are being used, though, for online, social media, and printed materials!
The main thing to remember is this-what is the purpose of your headshots and how are they going to be used!